Proverbs 31:30- Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised.
I am obsessed with Proverbs 30 and what it says about a God fearing woman! I realize I am NOT perfect nor will I ever match up to the Proverbs 30 wife and mom, but DANG IT I want to at least try! I want my kids and husband to see me the way the bible describes a Godly woman, and that means I have a LOT of work cut out for me!
I have seen so many daughters go against their moms… in a form of rebellion. I haven’t quite figured it out yet. I rebelled against my mom when I was younger and still cannot tell you the cause. I know my daughter (as well as my son) will have our arguments and disagreements. I realize there will be a time where she will rely and confide in someone other than myself, but I pray with all my might that she will always fall on God. I pray I am (for the most part) a great example of a Godly woman for her.
Being great examples for our daughters is not just telling them what we think they should know or do but showing them…. investing time into them. Dates are not only important for my son and I, but also for my me and my daughter…. as well as with their father.
Proverbs 20:7- The godly walk with integrity; blessed are their children who follow them.
Father and daughter relationships can help mold a girl’s mind and heart in such crucial ways that sometimes men don’t even realize. Growing up, it was a little rocky with my parents. My parents ended up getting a divorce when I was at a young age, and we ended up moving to another state. My sisters and I were hours away from my father, so it was hard for us to actually have that bond my heart always desperately wanted. I am such a believer that dads make a HUGE impact on their daughters and sons. Don’t get me wrong…. moms do as well… but there is something different about fathers. I was so lost on what a healthy relationship even looked like.. much less how I was supposed to be treated. I looked for the love of man that I craved all my life in the wrong places and never found it until my husband. Fathers can fill a hole in their daughter’s hearts that no one else can replace until their husbands (and even then their hearts are still mending based on the severity of the situation). A man of integrity will lead his family in ways that are unfathomable. When a honest father speaks, all ears are open. When a respectable father acts, all eyes are watching. A father has such a crucial role in the household, and I am here to say…. my kids have hit the jackpot with their father. He is a man of his word, a man who drops it all for his family, a man who says on Sunday, “We are going to church”, a man who prays on his way to work and reads the bible, a man who others trust and respect, and he is a man that will show my daughter what she deserves (and this last line just got me!)
There is such a special bond a father and daughter can have. Even now.. my daughter has been on this earth for a whooping ONE YEAR, and I wish I could show you the way she looks at her father. She ALREADY knows how to bat her eyelashes when he is around…. (well she tries… it more looks like she has a tick in her eye right now but she gets an A for effort). Those chubby little arms wrap around his neck, and it is OVER. Do you hear me? HE IS DONE FOR! She is already smitten over her father….without a doubt he will have a HUGE impact on her views of life, boys, and the world.
Being a mom and father, the best gift we can give our children is not only a great example of a healthy marriage and Godly relationship, but TIME. Investing in our kids is so important! It will sculpt them, it will create stronger bonds, it will establish trust, and it will create memories that will never fade. Sometimes it can be hard to figure out what we can do with our children (especially for men with their daughters), so here are a few date ideas for you and your daughter! I highly recommend documenting some of these special moments and creating a photo book! We use Mixbook.com
Daughter Date Ideas
- Spa Day (check out our spa day): Spa days are the best… I don’t care if you are 8 months old or 99. EVERY girl loves a spa day… It’s relaxing and much needed because we all know being a girl is hard work!
- Daughter Scavenger Hunt (Print your copy: Daughter Scavenger Hunt) :I am a nerd when it comes to scavenger hunts… I think I got it from my husband. When we were in our first few months of dating, he would put together a random scavenger hunt for me. It is a way to laugh together!
- Mani/Pedi: UM…. I am looking at my toes and nails, and I am pretty sure I need this day more often than not. Girls love color…. Especially when it is on their toes or fingernails. And Hey… us moms need it too!
- Make-Up Play: My daughter is one and already mimicking what I do. She’s a little confused as she puts my blush brush in her mouth (TOTALLY SANTITARY) but regardless she loves makeup
- Tea Party (check out our simple tea party): Tea parties are not only fun because you can have treats and sip juice with your pinkies up, but it is a way to actually talk to your little girl… REALLY talk.
- Make Floral Crowns (check out a simple DIY crown tutorial): I am OBSESSED with floral crowns! They are so simple to make and extremely cheap! Well they are cheap here considering I buy them half dead at our market for $2. You can even pick flowers from your own yard and tie them together.
- Fly Kites: What girl doesn’t love a kite? And what mom doesn’t like watching her child fly a kite? Not only is it a way to get your daughter outside, but it is such a bonding experience.
- Build a Princess Castle (check out our box DIY): Card boxes are a kid’s masterpiece! You can make hem literally into anything you want! Why not let your daughter paint it into a castle for her or even her baby dolls?
- Paint or Make Pottery: I think a painting class or pottery class is always fun, but they can be expensive… I LOVE to do this at home especially painting! There are tons of cheap wood products at hobby lobby that is so much fun to paint! Or just paint on regular white paper.
- Catch Lightening Bugs: One of my fondest memories as a kid was catching lightening bugs and watching them glow (we would actually smash the lightening bug on paper to make it light up …. Yea I know… kinda disturbing now that I think about it)
- Play House with Baby Dolls: My daughter LOVES her baby dolls… She loves pretending to be mommy and stroll them around. She would play baby dolls all day if she could.
- Go Shopping: Seriously? This is a complete DUH! Girls love to shop…. Shopping and lunch is a great way for moms and daughter to bond. Heck it’s what we have in common!
- Outdoor Picnic: Picnics outside can be so elegant for little girls. Pack up that wicker picnic basket with some pretty little plates, teacups, and sweet girl snacks. My daughter and I will even throw on our big sun hats.
- Ice Cream and Park: My daughter LOVES the park… she loves every single thing about it. Picking up some ice cream and enjoying the park is such a great date with any kid.
- Salon Visit: One of a girl’s strongest attribute is her hair. Scheduling a salon visit to style your daughter’s hair the way she wants it is so much fun. Even if you curl it at home and throw a little glitter on it!
- Bake Cookies for Shelter: I want my daughter to have a helping heart. Baking cookies and helping the needy will not only be a bonding tradition, but it will fill her heart with love that only giving can give.
- Make Noodle Necklaces (check out our DIY matching bracelets): My daughter will grab any type of jewelry she finds and throws it on her wrist. She’ll walk around swinging those hips and showing off her wrist candy. Making noodle necklaces is cheap and easy. You can dye the noodles or paint them… I personally love painting the noodles. It gives it a real artsy look.
- Movie Night: There are so many chick flicks for little girls that are so cute even the parent loves it! Have you (yes I said you haha as parents sometimes we have to be kids again) and your daughter dress up as a character in the movie! She will never forget it!
- Crafts for Hospital Patients: I want my daughter to experience not only the needy but those who are not well. Making crafts for those who need an extra smile will open her eyes to thankfulness and sympathy for others.
- Dress UP or Visit to a Formal Boutique: We usually have a weekly day where we dress up. For some reason, it excites me to see my kids having fun in costumes. Take your daughter to a formal boutique and let her try on some beautiful fancy gowns. Paparazzi that child!
- Scavenger Hunt (printable here): Scavenger hunts are a way to literally laugh, discover, and bond! Even if it is a battle against brother or another family member! It creates memories that will never fade.
- Make a Birdhouse: You and your daughter can make birdhouses out of a cartoon or even popsicle sticks and decorate them in so many ways. There are also wooden birdhouses at Michaels and Hobby Lobby she can paint.
- Girly Oobleck: When I taught science, this was my favorite experiment with the kids! It is literally ½ cup of cornstarch to ¼ cup of water. You can add pink or red food coloring to the water before you mix in the cornstarch. After you mix it together, add some glitter to give that princess touch! (Make sure you do not add too much water… you want jus enough water to soften the cornstarch, but too much will make it runny.)
- Lemonade or Bakery Stand: Bake cookies, make lemonade, or even do both. You and your daughter can create a lemonade stand together to sell those babies! After you make the big dough, have a shopping trip!
- Visit Build a Bear: Since my daughter loves dolls and stuffed animals like any other girl, she would of course be a fan of building her own! Especially when you can even add your own sounds.
- Book and Coffee/Hot Chocolate Date: My daughter LOVES books!! Princess books, farm books, super-hero books… they’re all the same to her! I love taking her to Books a Million to just sit on the floor and let her pick out her favorites… plus it’s a bonus when a hot beverage is available.
You may also be interested in: