Since Brooks was born, I knew I wanted to have that mother-son bond that everyone one talks about and more. I am not going to lie… the day the doc said those three words, “It is a boy!” I was nervous. A boy?? I didn’t know the first thing about a boy. I grew up with three sisters and my mom…. so the knowledge of boys was nonexistent in my little world. I started getting feelings of doubt… Will he love me? How will we bond? He will only love his dad. These doubts COMPLETELY vanished the day I laid my eyes on my baby boy. I remember it like yesterday…. I cried for a week. I would say it was just horomones…. but my husband was crying right along with me (sorry Brent). We were MADLY IN LOVE with this precious angel that some how survived in my body for 9 whole months.
Our bond grew over time… and the year he turned one, I knew I wanted to start our mom and son dates. I wanted it to be a tradition that carried on throughout the years… our memories that no one else could steal from us. These dates are so crucial to not only our relationship, but I hope it helps Brooks grow into a man who knows how to treat a woman on a date. He buys me flowers with his dad, holds my hand, and treats me with the upmost respect on our dates… what more could a woman ask for?
When hanging out with Brooks, I knew our bond would grow stronger if I saw the world thru his eyes…. the eyes of a young boy. What would a young boy want to do? Specifically my son.
I have created a list of mother/son date ideas that I thought my son would love to do. The scavenger hunt was probably my favorite date so far! You have to check that out if you are a mom of a young boy. LINKS BELOW 🙂
Mother and Son Date Ideas
• Movie and Dinner: This is our thing. At least once every 2 months we go to the movies. I have to admit… he is my favorite date. He always wants to hold hands and randomly kisses me. Talk about making a mom fall more in love with him. He totally knows what he is doing.
•Science Experiments: NO… of course you don’t want to have “school” on your date…. but there are some pretty fun science experiments that boys love!
- Bowling: Oh bowling! So my son still thinks that chunking the ball down the lane is the way to go. It seems to be working out for him considering he always beats me (maybe I should try his approach).
• Skating: Who doesn’t like skating to some sweet tunes? Plus it gives us a chance to laugh and hold hands (I am always down for that).
• Chucky Cheese or Gattitown: This may be his favorite. Usually on Thursdays I take him to Gattitown since it is half the price. I have learned to love the batman game, and he has learned to love guitar hero (the only thing I am actually good at).
• Scavenger Hunt (downloadable document available): Okay… I have to say this is my FAVORITE thing to do! I will cherish these memories forever and hope he continues this traditional with his kids! I have never laughed so hard. Plus I have gained some creative skills I never thought I had.
• Picnic at the Park: EVERY boy loves to be outside. Whether it is taking the football and throwing it…. playing chase… checking out the playground… climbing trees.. or whatever it may be. This is a win for both mom and son. We get the sweet lunch outside with our son… they get the outside activity they desire.
• Zoo or Pet Store: My son LOVES the zoo! Who doesn’t? If the zoo has ducks, it is always fun to bring some bread too.
• Laser Tag: UMMMM do I even have to explain? Laser tag is a must with the sons. Can’t you just hear him with his friends… “My mom took me to play laser tag.” “Man… your mom is cool!” Can I please be the cool mom at least for a minute?
• Putt Putt Golf: My son and I went to play glow in the dark golf on one of our dates. We had a blast! He was fascinated with all the lights, and it is always fun to have a little competition.
• Go to a Baseball or Football Game: Okay I will be the first to admit… I have never been totally into sports until my husband and son. I have learned to love it…. and make it into a game to make it more interesting. Why not throw a little bet in there to make it a little more exciting?
• Visit Fire Station: Even today as a grown woman… I love visiting the fire station. Who doesn’t love the tour? Most fire stations will even let them get in the firetruck and drive around with them (in the parking lot of course).
• Water Gun Fight: I LOVE water gun fights…. or even balloon fights. It gives me a thrill… You will hear your son laughing for days!
• Play Baseball at the Local Fields: Just because we are woman doesn’t mean we can’t play a little ball. Like I said before… I am awful with sports… but I will try my best for my kids.
• Go to Pool: LOVE going to the pool during those hot, summer days. I am a huge fan of water games like categories or swim chase.
• Bookstore and Ice Cream: This is a win for everyone involved… moms can get a coffee… kids can get a milkshake… and who knows maybe a book will be read 🙂
• Outside Movie (DIY drive-in car) and Snacks: My son loves movies…. and he LOVES being outside, so this is a deal breaker. Hang up a sheet… plug in a projector… even build a little fire… and there it is—the perfect date.
• Catch Lightening Bugs and Enjoy Some Outdoor Pizza: As a kid, I had the most fondest memories catching lightening bugs in mason jars. Watching my son, do the same, tugs at the ol’ heart strings.
• Race Bicycles: I taught middle school (two all boy classes) for 5 years, and I have realized that boys LOVE competition. It is in their DNA. Racing bikes will not only be fun to him. but heck… I could use the exercise.
• Fly Kites and Eat Popsicles: For some reason… I find flying kites hilarious! I don’t know what it is… well I kinda do…. I find it humorous and quite entertaining watching my son run as fast as he can in circles trying his best to keep the kite in the air. Why not enjoy a popsicle while I watch the show?
• Shoot Nerf Guns at Targets: When I taught, I always created lessons that had some sort of engaging activity involved. One of the boys favorites was the nerf gun activity. ALL BOYS love nerf guns. My son has 3 or 4 laying around. Draw a target.. running to Dollar General and pick up a nerf gun… and enjoy your time together.
• Go Fishing: Fishing… we all know it is probably the most relaxing sport you could possibly do. It is a great way to really talk to your son. Ask him about life…. engage. He’ll never forget it.
• Race Motorized Cars: You can find some motorized cars for pretty cheap. I have done a number of different dates with my son with motorized cars too. We have built towers and crashed into them, built a track out of blocks, and even played bumper cars.
James 1:17 – Every good and perfect gift is from above!
You may also be interested in: